We bake gingerbread every year with my children when the Xmas is approaching. This is a festive and traditional biscuit in our country and gingerbread making's tradition goes back for centuries. Ginger is totally omitted from Hungarian gingerbread. Literally this is a honey biscuit with cinnamon and cloves.
Usually there are two types of gingerbread: Ornate version and eating version.
The xmastree is usually decorated with the ornate version which is not as soft as the eating version.
The eating version is not decorated (but you could)) If the gingerbreads are not so soft then requires a speciel method to make it soft:
Put gingerbread in a metal box whenever you cook it. A few days before Christmas peel an apple. Put apple cloves on a piece of aluminium foil but do not cover them. Put the apple cloves in the box between the cookies. This way on Xmas Day they will be soft.
11/28/2009 Posted by Wise Lady
11/20/2009 Posted by Wise Lady
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cocoa
2 tablespoon sugar
2-3 dl milk
1 teaspoon rum or flavor
1 teaspoon cold butter
- Mix the starch and cocoa, add 1 dl milk and beat them until smooth.
- Add 1 dl milk again and heat it carefully (about 100 Celsius degrees).
- Add the sugar and vanilia too. If it is needed add some milk.
- When the sauce is thick stop heating. Add the cold butter and mix it until shiny.
- At the end add some rum or rum flavor.
- Mix the sauce with mixer until creamy. (About 1 minute).